Name of Honor Society : National Honor Society (NHS)
Faculty sponsor: Barry Keith
National bylaws can be read on the website. Mr. Keith will provide a hard copy of the MHS bylaws, in conformance with the national ones, upon request.
Meeting dates, times, and places for 2017-18: Auditorium, 3rd Thursday of each month during Mustang Morning
To be eligible to join the NHS, a student must:
• be enrolled as s second-semester junior in good standing
• Have at least a 3.25 cumulative weighted or unweighted grade-point average in all courses
• Embody leadership, be active in community service, and be of strong personal character, as determined by a faculty selection committee*
*The selection committee requests that the faculty adviser invite students to join based on information students may choose to provide concerning their leadership and community service; faculty recommendations; and knowledge of the students. Students do not apply for membership in the NHS, but are automatically considered if they appear on a list of second-semester juniors who carry a 3.25 or higher GPA. A student (such as a transfer from another school) who believes he or she may be less well known by the faculty is advised to provide information about him- or herself, though this should not be interpreted as application.
• return a letter of intent with a one-time $10 initiation fee
To remain an active member in good standing, a member must:
•Attend monthly meetings during Mustang Morning (run by officers)*
*Meetings will be twice a month to accommodate members who may have an academic assignment during one Mustang Morning. Members should attend one meeting and check news provided by officers and the sponsor throughout the year.
• Participate in projects chosen by the NHS for at least 10 hours during the year. These projects may include tutoring, fundraising, community service, or cultural events.
Students must satisfy both attendance and community service requirements to earn an NHS honor cord and mention as an NHS member in the graduation program.
Members of the NHS have elected officers for 2017-18. They are Keely Weise (President), Mallory Yowell (Vice-President), Lauren Haggard (Secretary), Bradley Ferrer (Treasurer), and Sarah Cohen (Volunteer Coordinator).
Members of the National Honor Society anticipate participating in a number of service projects, including building with Habitat for Humanity, tutoring at Cale Elementary School, and supporting the Jefferson Area Food Bank.