Athletics & Extracurricular Activities
At the January 14 school board meeting, the school board voted to allow winter athletics and extracurricular activities to continue through the school division's move to Stage 1 (all-virtual instruction), which begins on Tuesday, January 19. The board will reevaluate prior to making a decision about spring sports and activities.
Albemarle County Public Schools (ACPS) will operate all approved athletic practices and events and all extracurricular activities in alignment with the following guidance provided by the Virginia High School League (VHSL):
- 2020-2021 Guidelines for Return to Participation (Updated November 24, 2020)
- Phase III Guidelines for Reopening Sports/Activities
IMPORTANT NOTE: While the terminology on this page sometimes refers specifically to athletics and student athletes, all guidelines apply equally to students who are participating in extracurricular activities other than athletics, such as forensics/debate, theatre, and robotics.
Transportation for Athletics
The ACPS Transportation Services Department will implement the standards described in their Transportation Health Plan in order to keep students, coaches and staff as safe as possible while using ACPS bus transportation to and from athletic and extracurricular practices and events during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Scope of Transportation
Transportation for After-school Activities
- ACPS will provide shuttle transportation to school each afternoon for students participating in after-school activities who are receiving their education virtually at home.
- ACPS will provide shuttle transportation from school each evening at the conclusion of practice.
- Inbound and outbound shuttles will use established satellite stops. Each athletic department will publicize the location and schedule for the satellite stops.
Transportation for Competitions
ACPS will provide transportation to and from athletic events and performing arts competitions.
Questions? Please contact your child's Athletic Director or coach with questions about the division's health and safety measures for athletics and extracurricular activities.