2023-24 Calendar Development
The Albemarle County Public Schools (ACPS) Calendar Committee, which is composed of teachers, parents/guardians, and school and central office administrators, has completed the process of developing the calendar for the 2023-24 school year. Throughout the development process, the committee considered feedback from students, employees, families, and community members, and their work prioritized the following goals:
- Create a calendar that best supports the division’s efforts to engage students, improve opportunities and achievement, and get the most productivity out of our resources.
- Enable time for professional learning and collaboration that supports, in particular, the division’s strategies around culturally responsive teaching and professional learning communities.
- Build in time for teachers to work individually on such tasks as updating lesson plans, grading assignments, preparing materials, etc.
- Preserve two full weeks for Winter Break and one full week (the first week of April) for Spring Break.
- Limit the number of half-days for students.
Note: While we started our calendar planning process in collaboration with Charlottesville City Schools, the two advisory groups expressed different scheduling needs, which are reflected in our respective calendar drafts. We value our relationship with Charlottesville’s Calendar Committee and remain open to future collaboration.
At their meeting on January 26, 2023, the Albemarle County School Board approved the official calendar for the 2023-24 school year. Under this calendar, the 2023-24 school year will open for students on Wednesday, August 23, 2023.
Click on a calendar below to open a larger, printable version in a new tab.
Calendar Development Timeline
The following dates are subject to change.
- November 10, 2022 | First committee meeting to draft calendar (joint meeting with the Charlottesville City Schools Calendar Committee)
- November 21, 2022 | Second committee meeting to finalize draft calendar(s) for public review
- November 28, 2022 | Post draft calendar(s) and open community survey for feedback
- December 7, 2022 | Close community survey
- December 12, 2022 | Third committee meeting to review survey feedback and make revisions
- January 12, 2023 | Present proposed calendar to school board for review
- January 26, 2023 | Present proposed calendar to school board for approval
From November 28 – December 7, 2022, the ACPS Calendar Committee invited employees, students, families, and community members to provide feedback on two draft calendars for next school year. The two drafts differed only in the days proposed for the Thanksgiving holiday and Winter Break:
Draft 1 Calendar Draft 2 Calendar
Based on nearly 2,000 survey responses and the input of the Superintendent’s Cabinet, the ACPS Calendar Committee has created a third draft of the 2023-24 School Year Calendar to propose to the school board:
Draft 3 of the calendar maintains Wednesday, August 23, 2023, as the first day of school for students, and Friday, June 7, 2024, as the last day of school for students, and includes a traditional three-day Thanksgiving holiday and a full two-week Winter Break. Compared to the previous two drafts, Draft 3 reflects the following changes:
- The professional development (PD) day on Monday, September 18, has moved to Friday, September 29.
- The teacher workday on Tuesday, October 31, has moved to Friday, October 27, with Quarter 1 ending on Thursday, October 26.
- The teacher workday on Friday, January 19, has moved to Thursday, January 25, with Quarter 2 ending on Wednesday, January 24.
- The PD day on Tuesday, January 2, has moved to Friday, January 26.
- The teacher workday on Friday, March 29, has moved to Thursday, March 28, with Quarter 3 ending on Wednesday, March 27.
- The PD day on Friday, March 15, has moved to Friday, March 29.
- The PD day on Friday, April 26, is now a full day of learning for students.
The Calendar Committee will present Draft 3 to the school board for review on January 12, 2023. The board is scheduled to approve the calendar two weeks later on January 26, 2023. Both meetings will include an opportunity for community members to offer public comment.
- Official 2023-24 School Year Calendar: English | Spanish (Approved Jan. 26, 2023)
- 2023-24 School Year Calendar, Draft 3 (Drafted Dec. 13, 2022)
- Calendar Survey Results (Nov. 28 – Dec. 7, 2022)
- 2023-24 School Year Calendar, Draft 2 (Drafted Nov. 21, 2022)
- 2023-24 School Year Calendar, Draft 1 (Drafted Nov. 21, 2022)
- Official 2022-23 School Year Calendar: English | Spanish (Approved Jan. 13, 2022; Revised July 27, 2022)