Calendar Development: 2024-25 & 2025-26
Albemarle County Public Schools (ACPS) has started its annual calendar development process earlier than usual with a plan to approve a two-year calendar for the 2024-25 and 2025-26 school years by fall 2023. Throughout the development process, the Calendar Committee, which is composed of teachers, parents/guardians, and school and central office administrators, will consider feedback from students, employees, families, and community members, and their work will prioritize the following goals:
- Create a two-year calendar that meets state requirements for instructional hours and supports the division’s efforts to engage students and improve opportunities and achievement.
- Enable time for division-level and school-based professional learning and collaboration for staff to deepen their understanding of instructional practices that support student learning.
- Embed time for teachers to work individually on such tasks as updating lesson plans, grading assignments, preparing materials, etc.
- Limit the number of half-days for students.
Now Seeking Community Feedback!
To help with our planning, the Calendar Committee would like to gather some initial input from students, staff and families on such ideas as an earlier start to the school year, a shorter Winter Break, and an earlier Spring Break. We’re also interested in feedback on the timing of teacher workdays and professional learning days and the appropriate number of instructional days for students.
To participate, please review the two draft calendars below and then take our survey by Friday, June 2:
Please note that it is unlikely that either of these draft calendars (in their current state) will move forward as the recommended calendar for the 2024-25 school year. They are intended as a starting point, whereby “Calendar 1” more closely resembles our traditional calendar, and “Calendar 2” includes some of the ideas we’re evaluating.
This fall, the Calendar Committee will reconvene to review community feedback and begin crafting a two-year calendar for school board review and approval. (The recommended 2024-25 and 2025-26 calendars will have similar structures.)
Thank you for your valuable input!
Calendar Development Timeline
The following dates are subject to change.
- April 18, 2023 | First committee meeting to review multiple calendar drafts
- April 25, 2023 | Second committee meeting to determine which draft calendar(s) to put forth for public review
- May 17, 2023 | Post draft calendar(s) and open community survey for feedback
- June 2, 2023 | Close community survey
- Fall 2023 | Third committee meeting to review survey feedback and make revisions
- Date TBD | Present proposed calendar to school board for review
- Date TBD | Present proposed calendar to school board for approval