2023-24 Calendar Development
The Albemarle County Public Schools (ACPS) Calendar Committee, which is composed of teachers, parents/guardians, and school and central office administrators, has begun the annual process of developing next year’s school calendar. Throughout the development process, the committee will consider feedback from students, employees, families, and community members, and their work will prioritize the following goals:
- Create a calendar that best supports the division’s efforts to engage students, improve opportunities and achievement, and get the most productivity out of our resources.
- Enable time for professional learning and collaboration that supports, in particular, the division’s strategies around culturally responsive teaching and professional learning communities.
- Build in time for teachers to work individually on such tasks as updating lesson plans, grading assignments, preparing materials, etc.
- Preserve two full weeks for Winter Break and one full week (the first week of April) for Spring Break.
- Limit the number of half-days for students.
Calendar Development Timeline
The following dates are subject to change.
- November 10, 2022 | First committee meeting to draft calendar (joint meeting with the Charlottesville City Schools Calendar Committee)
- November 21, 2022 | Second committee meeting to finalize draft calendar(s) for public review
- November 28, 2022 | Post draft calendar(s) and open community survey for feedback
- December 7, 2022 | Close community survey
- December 12, 2022 | Third committee meeting to review survey feedback and make revisions
- January 12, 2023 | Present proposed calendar to school board for review
- January 26, 2023 | Present proposed calendar to school board for approval
2023-24 Calendar Survey Now Open!
The ACPS Calendar Committee invites employees, students, families, and community members to provide feedback on two draft calendars for next school year. Both drafts of the 2023-24 calendar include Wednesday, August 23, 2023, as the first day of school for students, and Friday, June 7, 2024, as the last day of school for students. The only difference between the two drafts is the days we will observe the Thanksgiving holiday and Winter Break:
- Draft 1 proposes a traditional three-day Thanksgiving holiday (Wednesday-Friday, Nov. 22-24) and a Winter Break that starts on Monday, Dec. 18.
- Draft 2 includes a full week for the Thanksgiving holiday (Monday-Friday, Nov. 20-24) and proposes a slightly shorter Winter Break that begins on Wednesday, Dec. 20.
Please click the buttons below to review our two calendar drafts, and then share your thoughts by completing our calendar survey by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, December 7:
Note: While we started our calendar planning process in collaboration with Charlottesville City Schools, the two advisory groups expressed different scheduling needs, which are reflected in our respective calendar drafts. We value our relationship with Charlottesville’s Calendar Committee and remain open to future collaboration.
The calendar committee will consider survey feedback at their next meeting on December 12.