This page is designed to address the desire of a parent to request a "change of venue", "student transfer" or, for "permission for my child to attend a school that is different than the one they are expected to go to".
Even though students are expected to attend the appropriate school for their attendance area in Albemarle County, the School Board of Albemarle County Virginia does make some allowances. Parents of children who reside in Albemarle County can request from the Superintendent that their child(ren) attend a school different than the one the child(ren) are expected to be enrolled at. While there is no fee for parents to take advantage of this allowance, parents are expected to be responsible for the transportation to ensure their child attend the approved school. This same allowance is available to Albemarle County employees who reside in Albemarle County and are parents or guardians of students enrolled in Albemarle County Public Schools.
Albemarle County employees that reside outside of Albemarle County may also make a request for their child(ren) to attend an Albemarle County Public School of their choice, but in addition to having the responsibility to provide all transportation in order for the child to attend the approved school, parents would also be expected to pay a fee for tuition.
- Applications are accepted throughout the school year.
- Cases are considered on a case by case basis.
- The electronic application can be accessed by visiting the link below:
Approvals for all requests are made and communicated with families after the approval / adoption of the School Board Budget for the year of the requested transfer. Requests are processed in the order that the Student Transfer Request Forms are received.
- Families can expect to receive a formal response of their submitted request during the month of April for the following year.
- Requests made during the school year for the same year are typically processed within 30 days.