ACPS Preschool Program FAQs (Bright Stars, ECSE Head Start)

How old does my child need to be to attend ACPS preschool programs?

Children must be 4 years old by September 30 of the current year to attend ACPS preschool programs.

What programs can I apply for?

With the common application, families can apply to any program. During the application process, families are asked to provide preferences for which programs they would like their child to attend, which are then taken into account when children are assigned to seats in the programs.

When are applications accepted?

Applications are accepted all year long and a waiting list is maintained to fill vacancies as they occur.

Is transportation to preschool programs provided for my child?

Children who reside within the school zone for the program that they are attending can access ACPS bus transportation to and from their program.

If I can't apply online, where can I get an application?

When will my application be processed?

An application is considered complete and will be processed when all of the documents listed below are received:

  1. Application ~ Online (preferred) or paper
  2. Proof of Income ~ Documentation of all sources of income for all contributing adults in the household, which may include: 
    • Income Tax Return(s) 1040
    • W2 Form
    • Current and consecutive paystubs
      • weekly (4 pay stubs), every two weeks (3 pay stubs), 2x per month (3 pay stubs), monthly (2 pay stubs), yearly (1 pay stub)
    • Employer Letter
    • Rents and Royalties
    • Pension/Retirement Income Payments
    • SSI Award Letter
    • Alimony
    • Survivor Benefits
    • Child Support Documents
    • Educational Assistance/Scholarship(s)
    • Unemployment/Worker's Compensation
    • Interest and Dividends
    • Veterans Benefits Payment
    • TANF Award Letter
    • SNAP Award Letter
    • Disability/Social Security Letter
  3. Proof of Address ~ One of the documents listed below:
    • Current deed, lease, or a notarized shared housing form
      • The above forms must be supported by a utility bill such as electric, cable, landline phone, or water
    • *Driver’s Licenses and W2 forms are not acceptable proof of residency documents
    • **If accepted, families must follow ACPS’ residency verification process when registering for school

If I experience technical difficulties when uploading my application, who do I contact?

Contact a Go2Grow Navigator at or call (434) 459-0282 (se habla español) for help with difficulties in uploading the application.

How do I submit a paper application or paper copies of a supporting document?

  • Fax documents to Carol Fox at 434-872-4518.
  • Bring documents to the United Way of Greater Charlottesville front office at 200 Garret Street, Suite I, Charlottesville, VA 22902.
  • Bring documents to the ACPS front office in the County Office Building at 401 McIntire Road, Charlottesville, VA 22902.
  • Bring documents to the Department of Social Services front office in the 5th Street County Office Building at 1600 5th Street, Charlottesville, VA 22903.
  • Documents can also be mailed to any of the addresses listed above.

When will I hear about my application?

  • Families will begin hearing about their application status the first week of May.
  • Families who turn applications in after May 30th will be notified as soon as possible.