2020-21 Budget Development
Albemarle County Public Schools begins its annual budget planning process in August. The budget development process is a collaborative process involving many stakeholders. The School Board’s Strategic Plan, Horizon 2020, includes a student-centered goal, objectives, and priorities to guide the development of the annual budget.
The Superintendent works closely with the School Board, the leadership team, and the community to present the needs of the division and works closely with the County to fit these needs into the larger needs of the community. Community engagement is critical during the budget development process. The Superintendent gathers feedback and prepares a funding request that incorporates community input as well as the strategic priorities set by the School Board.
The Superintendent’s Funding Request is presented to the School Board in January. The School Board then makes amendments to the Superintendent’s Funding Request after a series of work sessions in preparation for the adoption of the request to the Board of Supervisors.
Key dates include:
- The Superintendent of Schools, taking into consideration stakeholder feedback and alignment to our strategic plan priorities, forms a Funding Request that is presented to the School Board (January 23, 2020).
- The School Board reviews the Superintendent's Funding Request during a series of budget work sessions and a public hearing and then makes its own adjustments to the spending plan (February 4, 2020).
- A School Board Funding Request is presented to the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors (February 25, 2020), who make the final decision regarding the amount of revenue to be allocated to the school division.
- Finally, the School Board makes any necessary or desired changes and adopts a final budget (May 14, 2020).
Note: A complete archive of relevant budget documents, reports and presentations is maintained on the Historical Budget Documents web page.
Mark Your Calendar
We welcome Albemarle County students, parents, employees, and community members to participate in the budget development process by attending School Board meetings. Unless otherwise noted, all meetings take place in the Albemarle County Office Building at 401 McIntire Road in Charlottesville.
- 2020-21 Budget Calendar (updated April 16, 2020)
- Albemarle County Board of Supervisors Public Engagement opportunities, including budget meetings and work sessions, public hearings, and community meetings
Public Comment at Meetings
Public comment is accepted during Regular School Board Meetings and Regular Work Sessions. Special Work Sessions are open to the public; however, they do not offer the opportunity for public comment.
Key Advisory Groups
Stakeholder feedback is an essential part of the budget process. In addition to community feedback received through online surveys and town hall meetings, multiple advisory groups provide budget input.
Community Satisfaction Survey
ACPS invited students, parents, employees, and community members to participate in our Community Satisfaction Survey from December 3-20, 2019. Thank you to all who participated.
Feedback will provide the school division with valuable operational information that we will use as part of our commitment to continuous improvement. Responses also will inform the development of our 2020-21 budget and our long-range planning decisions. Stay tuned for survey results.
Questions & Comments
Please note: In-depth questions will result in a formal written response and will be shared with School Board members.
Please direct questions regarding budget to the Fiscal Services Department at 434-296-5820 or email@example.com.
Please direct questions regarding the budget calendar to the Office of the School Board at 434-972-4055.
Albemarle County School Board
Albemarle County Board of Supervisors
School Board's Adopted Budget, FY 21 - Combined (May 14, 2020)
- Section A - Overview
- Section B - School Fund Revenues
- Section C - School Fund Expenditure Overview
- Section D - School Locations
- Section E - Department Expenditures
- Section F - Special Revenue Funds
- Section G - Supplemental Materials
- Section H - FY 20 Proposals
School Board's Funding Request, FY 21 - Combined (Feb. 4, 2020)
Superintendent's Funding Request, FY 21 - Combined (Jan. 23, 2020)
- School Board's Funding Request, FY 21 - slides only (Feb. 25, 2020)
- School Board's Funding Request, FY 21 - slides with script (Feb. 25, 2020)
- Work Session #4 (Feb. 4, 2020)
- Work Session #3 (Jan. 30, 2020)
- Work Session #2 (Jan. 28, 2020)
- Work Session #1 (Jan. 23, 2020)
- Superintendent's Funding Request, FY 21 (Jan. 23, 2020)
- Five-Year Financial Forecast, FY 21-25 (Nov. 13, 2019)
Throughout our budget work sessions, school division staff will respond to budget-related questions from School Board members and post the responses here for public access.
- Budget Q&A (Feb. 3, 2020)
Topics include funding for Being A Reader, salaries, gifted education, instructional staffing, and FLES staffing.
- Budget Q&A (Jan. 30, 2020)
Topics include revenues, compensation, non-discretionary and directed expenses, growth, and proposals.