Athletics Vaccination Requirement
Beginning November 8, the school division will be requiring all students who are participating in Virginia High School League (VHSL) winter and spring athletic programs to first submit proof of full vaccination against the COVID-19 virus or a negative COVID-19 test each week.
This includes all ‘out-of-season’ workouts as well as club sports like Mountain Biking and Rowing. This does not include VHSL activities at this time (including Debate, Forensics, Theatre, Scholastic Bowl, eSports).
NOTE: Please understand that due to an increase in demand for COVID-19 testing, it may be difficult to find testing for unvaccinated students. Proof of a negative test result each week is still required for unvaccinated students to participate. Families will be responsible for the cost of individual testing.
Submit Proof of Vaccine
Please present your COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card (actual or photo) or CLICK HERE for a printout of your COVID-19 Vaccination Record from the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) to your School Nurse no later than November 8.
Submit Negative Test Results
In order for unvaccinated athletes to participate in practices or games, a negative COVID-19 test result (Rapid or PCR) must be submitted to your School Nurse prior to the first day of tryouts and each Wednesday by 4 p.m. thereafter. No results from over-the-counter testing products will be accepted. A negative test dated November 1 or later must be presented to participate on November 8.
If a negative COVID-19 test is not produced by that time, the unvaccinated student will not be allowed to participate in practices or games for that week.
- Why did ACPS decide to make vaccinations for student athletes mandatory?
- Who made this decision?
- Are other school divisions requiring proof of vaccination for their student athletes?
- Do students need to wait until two weeks have passed from their second shot to participate?
- What proof will be needed to show that my student is fully vaccinated?
- What if I lost my vaccine card?
- What if my child cannot or does not want to receive the vaccine?
- Where can I get my child vaccinated?
- Can a previous COVID-19 infection be considered an alternative to the vaccine?
- Why are fall sports unaffected by this policy?