High School Summer Program
High School Summer Program
The primary goal of the High School Summer Program is to offer Albemarle County students the chance to take or retake a course where they would like to improve their knowledge, skills, and understandings. A full listing of available courses to take or retake are listed below.
The High School Summer Program is open to rising ninth grade through twelfth grade students.
The High School Summer Program is offered in a virtual format.
IF YOUR STUDENT IS AN ATHLETE and plans to play in the NCAA please note that all virtual summer courses offered are NOT NCAA compliant. Please contact your school counselor regarding the course you selected and any school or NCAA compliance concerns.
2021 HIGH SCHOOL SUMMER PROGRAM
Dates for the 2021 High School Summer Program will be posted as soon as information becomes available. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE **Students must consult with their school counselor to discuss their future plans and the impact of summer school classes before signing up for the High School Summer Program**
Online Registration OPENS: TBD The registration link will be placed on this page beginning the first day of registration. Online registration is the only way to register for the summer classes.
Registration CLOSES: Initial Credit Courses TBD Retaking Courses TBD
All virtual courses start TBD
Virtual Economics Personal Finance course: Requires administration of W!SE Financial Literacy Assessment.
Retake Courses (offered in a virtual format only):
- English 9,10,11,12
- Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry
- World Geography, World History I, World History II, US/VA History, US/VA Government
Due to the lab requirements in Science we are unable to offer any Science courses to retake during the summer session.
Course Levels: Students must retake the course at the same course level or lower than the original attempt at the course. For example, if a student is retaking Honor's Geometry - they would retake the course at either Honors or Advanced level.
Initial Credit Courses (offered in a virtual format only):
The following courses can be taken for initial credit:
- Health I or II -(Driver Education is available through the ACPS Driver Education program. The combined classroom Health II w/Driver Education is only available during the school year)
- PE I or II
- Economics and Personal Finance
- English 11* or 12*
- US/VA History*
- US/VA Government
- College Algebra Trig
*Denotes available at Honor's Level
- Health or PE
- $230 per course (Health & PE together $460)
- All other initial credit courses
- Course Retake
- $230 per course
- Online payments will include an additional, non-refundable convenience fee of 3.49% of the total tuition.
Refunds- All refunds will be made by check. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing. Please note- convenience fees are not refunded.
- Students will register using the link on this page (link to be posted). Students can take up to 1.5 credits when registering. The time it takes to complete a course can vary per individual student.
- We do not recommend that students who are traveling or have other time consuming obligations take a virtual course over the summer. All Virtual courses are available during the school year.
- Students must provide their own Internet Access and Device necessary to complete the course.
- Virtual Courses do not offer face-to-face instruction and must be completed online.
- Two SOL testing windows will be available for three days at the end of each three week time frame.
- Final course offerings are determined by a minimum enrollment of 15 students.
- It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to provide a copy of their child's current IEP or 504 plan. It is imperative that the current accommodations sheet for SOL testing is included. Please email plans to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Albemarle County Public Schools does not provide transportation for the High School Summer Program.
Attendance: Typically, retaking a course with about a 5 hour a day committment can be done in a 3-4 week time frame - but it's not unusual either to use all 7 weeks. All coursework must be completed by the final day of the Classroom Session.
Rules and Regulations
- All courses must be complete by the last day of school. No refunds given after the first day of class.
- Students will be expected to display appropriate behavior. Failure to do so may result in suspension and/or removal from the summer program. Suspensions will be counted as absences.
- Students enrolled in Virtual PE that do not complete the pre-testing session will be withdrawn and refunded automatically. The pre-testing session is mandatory. Post-testing sessions are also mandatory.
- Students enrolled in Classroom PE are permitted one absence. A 2nd absence could potentially be made up if scheduled ahead of time with an instructor. A 3rd absence will result in an automatic withdrawal.
Standards of Student Conduct
The summer program will adhere to the Albemarle County Standards of Student Conduct:
- Students involved in confrontations will be removed from the summer program and will not receive a grade, credit, or a refund.
- A student who possesses, uses, or is under the influence of a drug, narcotic, tobacco product, or alcoholic beverage will be removed from the summer program and will neither receive a grade, credit, nor a refund.
- Smoking, chewing, or any other use of any tobacco products by students shall be prohibited on all school property.
- Student’s dress may not interfere with classroom activities nor contribute to the creation of a disturbance. Shirt and shoes must be worn at all times.
- Students will not be permitted to leave the school grounds during program hours without permission.
The following grading system is used to award grades:
- A = 90-100; B = 80-89; C = 70-79; D = 60-69; F = 0-59
- Students must provide their own transportation and abide by vehicle parking rules and regulations of Albemarle County.
- Students will be expected to leave the school grounds immediately at the conclusion of the school day.
- The completed registration form gives parental permission for a student's participation in local field trips. Parents will be informed of such field trips in advance. Fees may apply.
Interested in earning credit for work-based learning (part-time jobs & internships) or service learning (volunteer projects) this summer?
Carolyn Herget, Summer School Registrar
401 McIntire Road, 3rd Floor
Charlottesville, VA 22902