School Attendance Area Waiver Requests
Who must submit a school attendance area waiver request?
- Any nonresident of Albemarle County meeting the eligibility requirements for admission according to School Board Policy JEC, School Admission, Section II (“Nonresident”) or Section III (“Nonresident Students of Albemarle County Employees”); or
- Any resident of Albemarle County who wishes for their child(ren) to attend a school other than the one designated by the attendance area and meets at least one of the conditions specified in School Board Policy JC, School Attendance Areas, Sections A-H.
Acceptable conditions for the transfer of a student to a school in another attendance area include:
- A student whose parent/guardian changes residence from one school attendance area to another within the county after the end of the first semester may be permitted to complete the school year in his/her current school if the parent/guardian so desires.
- A child whose parent/guardian plans to move to another attendance area within the county after the school year begins and who will reside in the new attendance area for the majority of the school year may be permitted to begin the school year in the school serving the new attendance area (documentation required).
- A child whose parent/guardian is employed full-time by Albemarle County Public Schools, CATEC, or certain Albemarle County Local Government departments may be admitted to a school other than the one serving his/her attendance area to accommodate the parent’s work schedule.
- A senior whose parent/guardian moves to another attendance area within the county after the end of the first semester of the student’s junior year may be permitted to complete his/her final year in the last high school attended.
- A child who spends the majority of the school year living with a parent who has joint physical custody and resides in the county may be permitted to attend Albemarle County Public Schools (documentation required).
- A child who has been the victim of a crime committed by a student, employee, volunteer, contract worker, or person who regularly performs services in the school, or a crime committed on school property or on any school bus owned or operated by the school division, may be permitted to attend a school other than the one serving his/her attendance area at the written request of the parent/guardian.
- The Superintendent or the Superintendent's designee may approve a transfer request for curriculum requirements, specific medical reasons, or extraordinary reasons.
All school attendance area waiver requests MUST:
- Be submitted in writing for approval on an annual basis.
- Include the student’s name, a return address, and a phone number.
- Be mailed to Strategic Planning and Operations at 401 McIntire Road, Charlottesville, VA 22902, or faxed to 434-296-5805.