Kindergarten Registration begins with completing an online registration form and also provides an opportunity for parents to receive on-site assistance with the enrollment process, present required documentation, and learn more about our kindergarten program.
2020-21 On-Site Kindergarten Registration Postponed; Online Registration Open!
Due to the spread of COVID-19, Governor Ralph Northam announced that all public and private schools in Virginia will remain closed at least through the end of the current academic school year. Visit our COVID-19 Management Plan web page for more information.
While the school division still plans to hold an on-site Kindergarten Registration event once schools reopen, we are offering a different option for families this year:
- First, we encourage all families with a child who will be starting kindergarten this coming school year to use the Complete the Registration Form link below to access and complete our online 2020-2021 Registration Form.
- Then, families may submit Required Registration Documentation electronically, including an original birth certificate, two proofs of residency, a certificate of immunizations signed by a doctor, and a signed doctor's physical examination report. Families may email scanned or photographed copies of these documents to their School Registrar.
- Determine Your Eligibility for Enrollment
To enroll as a kindergartner for the 2020-21 school year, your child must be 5 years old by September 30, 2020, and reside in Albemarle County.
- Determine Your School Attendance Area
Albemarle County Public Schools determines which of our 15 elementary schools your child will attend for kindergarten based on your physical (home) address.
- Complete the Registration Form
Albemarle County Public Schools utilizes an online registration form to collect the majority of information used to enroll your child in one of our schools.
- Present the Required Documentation
The Commonwealth of Virginia and Albemarle County Public Schools requires you to provide certain required documents in order to enroll your child in kindergarten. On-site kindergarten registration, during which parents may present required documentation to their child's school, will be rescheduled once schools reopen. New this year, families may email scanned or photographed copies of these documents to their School Registrar.
- For more information, call 434-296-5820. For bilingual assistance, call 434-249-0721. (Para asistencia bilingüe, llame 434-249-0721.)
- For answers to the most frequently asked questions about registering your child to attend Albemarle County Public Schools, or to find contact information for individuals who can assist with the registration process, please visit our Registration FAQs page.
- For links to additional documents and other important information that would be helpful as you prepare for your child to start school, please visit our Additional Registration Information page.
- If you are interested in learning more about EDEP, including our after-school enrichment and student holiday programs, please complete our online EDEP Interest Form.
- For assistance registering a child who was not born in the United States or speaks a language other than English, or if the documents needed for school registration were issued in a foreign country, contact the International and ESOL Office at 434-249-0721 or email Emily Elliott at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ms. Debora Collins
Albemarle County Public Schools
401 McIntire Road, Room 333
Charlottesville, VA 22902