Virtual Learning on Inclement Weather Days
If ACPS closes school buildings due to inclement weather, schools may switch to virtual learning to help to meet the minimum number of instructional hours required by the Virginia Department of Education. After schools are closed for at least one day due to inclement weather and it appears it may be necessary to close the next day, the Superintendent will determine if conditions are right for a virtual learning day.
During inclement weather days, ACPS will consider the following conditions to determine if a virtual learning day is feasible:
- Power outages
- Technical connection issues
- Students and teachers access to technology (i.e. were devices sent home with student or are students able pick up devices from school)
What to Expect on a Virtual Inclement Weather Day
- The school day will begin at 9 a.m. and end at 3 p.m.
- Instruction will be a combination of synchronous and asynchronous learning.
- Attendance will be taken by teachers as normal.
- If a move to a virtual inclement weather day is warranted, an announcement will be made as soon as possible and specific information about how to access instruction will be sent from each school.
All middle and high school students have a division issued laptop. It is the student’s responsibility to take the device and charging cord home daily, ensure the device is fully charged, and maintain all log-in credentials.
If a potential weather event is anticipated, devices and charging cords will be sent home with all elementary students. Students in grades 3-5 will bring home a laptop. Students in PreK-2 will bring home an iPad.
If a student is absent when devices are distributed, pick-up locations may be offered depending on road and parking lot conditions.
Students with no or limited internet service at home may request a Hot Spot to bring home with them. Alternatively, school work and resources may be downloaded to the student’s laptop or iPad prior to leaving school. If you have any questions, please visit our ACPS@Home web page for more information.