2019-20 Budget Development
Budget Development Process
The development cycle for the 2019-20 budget began in August 2018 and ends in April 2019. The process, which includes gathering input from numerous stakeholder groups in the school system and community, takes place in the following sequence:
- The Superintendent of Schools, taking into consideration stakeholder feedback and alignment to our strategic plan priorities, forms a Funding Request that is presented to the School Board (on or around
January 17, 2019).
- The School Board reviews the Superintendent's Funding Request during a series of budget work sessions and a public hearing and then makes its own adjustments to the spending plan.
- A School Board Funding Request is presented to the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors (on or around
March 4, 2019), who make the final decision regarding the amount of revenue to be allocated to the school division.
- Finally, the School Board makes any necessary or desired changes and adopts a final budget (on or around
April 25, 2019).
Note: A complete archive of relevant budget documents, reports and presentations is maintained on the
Historical Budget Documents web page.
Mark Your Calendar
We welcome Albemarle County students, parents, employees, and community members to participate in the budget development process by attending School Board meetings. Unless otherwise noted, all meetings take place in the Albemarle County Office Building at 401 McIntire Road in Charlottesville.
- Stay tuned for the full 2019-20 Budget Preparation Calendar (currently under development).
- We will share a full list of public engagement opportunities once the County publishes their FY 20 budget development calendar.
Public Comment at Meetings
Public comment is accepted during Regular School Board Meetings and Regular Work Sessions. Special Work Sessions are open to the public; however, they do not offer the opportunity for public comment.
Review the guidelines regarding public comment »
Key Advisory Groups
Stakeholder feedback is an essential part of the budget process. In addition to community feedback received through online surveys and town hall meetings, multiple advisory groups provide budget input. Stay tuned for a list of advisory groups that contribute to the 2019-20 budget development process.
Learn more about our key advisory groups »