What materials are recycled by Albemarle County Public Schools?
- Recyclables (paper, plastics #1 - #7, aluminum, steel, tin, glass, cardboard, newspaper)
- Batteries (alkaline and rechargeable) - Collection containers at AHS, MHS, WAHS, Building Services and School Technology.
- Electronic waste (computers, monitors, keyboards, etc.)
- TechnoTrash (CDs, flash drives, cords, VHS tapes, small electronics, ink, boards, chips, headphones- see more detailed information below)
- Scrap metal
- Fluorescent & mercury-containing bulbs
- Construction debris
- Used oil
All About TechnoTrash
Environmental Compliance has partnered with GreenDisk Services in order to recycle all technotrash produced in schools. With the help of their Pack-IT service and Technotrash Cans, we are able to make sure that these materials are disposed of in an environmentally friendly fashion. For a comprehensive list of what technotrash is accepted through these services, please see the information below.
Below is the list of items accepted in the Technotrash Can:
- Media: CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DVDs, Blu-ray, 3.5” and 5.25” floppy disks, zip and jazz disks, and cases
- Tapes: VHS, audio cassette tapes, DAT, DLT, Beta, and Digibeta
- Computer drives: Hard drives, zip, jazz, floppy, CD-ROM, DVD, jump drives
- Communication devices: Cell phones, pagers, PDAs and their chargers, cradles, and headset accessories
- Small electronics: MP3 players, iPods, hand-held CD and cassette players, and digital cameras
- Photographic film negatives, instant film, sheet film, Advanced Photo System, slides, Disc film, 110, 126, 127, 120/220
- Black and white or undeveloped only: Motion picture film, film reels, Super 8, 8mm, 9.5mm, 16mm, 35mm, 70mm
- Medical x-ray, industrial x-ray, lithographic, micro film, microfiche
- Miscellaneous items: UPS units, AC chargers, keyboards, mice, modems, routers, headphones, cords, adaptors, cables, boards, and chips
- VCRs, DVRs, TIVO units, Blu-ray players, and DVD players
- GPS units
- Computer speakers
- Video game consoles and cartridges
The following items are NOT accepted for recycling:
- desktop phones, answering machines, photocopiers, shredders, and calculators
- small miscellaneous electronics (i.e. razors, hair dryers, flat irons, toothbrushes, etc.)
- kitchen appliances (i.e. toasters, microwaves, blenders, etc.)
- single use batteries, light bulbs, lamps, vacuums, carbon monoxide detectors
- stereo systems, radios, CB radios, stereo speakers, satellite dishes, TVs, remote controls
- vinyl records
- mercury containing devices such as thermometers, thermostats, smoke detectors, etc.
Each school has its own Recycling Coordinator who serves as a contact liaison with the Environmental Compliance Department and a resource for information if there are questions about what materials can be recycled. For your reference, Recycling Coordinators are listed by school below.
||Jeff Matriccino, Mary Dreyer|
|Ivy Creek / Prep
||Peggy Morgan, Laura Dewald|
||Angela Worley, Dan Parks, Melissa Brown|