Early Childhood Special Education
What is Reverse Inclusion?
Reverse inclusion is the practice of placing students into an Early Childhood Special Education class on a voluntary basis so that the reverse inclusion students can be social and educational role models for the students with disabilities.
Applications are being accepted for ONLY Brownsville, Hollymead, Stony Point and Woodbrook from October 15th - October 31st.
How are students selected?
- Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted.
- There is a limit of 6 applications for each site.
- Parents of students with applications will be contacted for confirmation of interest and to set up an appointment by a preschool teacher which is expected to be completed as received.
- Applications will be selected using a lottery system.
Who should apply?
- Parents of students who can provide transportation to and from school and have children who are:
- Age 3 or 4 by September 30 of the 2019-2020 school year
- Able to attend preschool for the full school week (6 hours/day Monday-Thursday and 3 hours on Friday mornings)
- Eligible Children:
- Preschool aged children who would attend Kindergarten at one of the sites noted above.
- Preschool aged children of an employee at the site of the ECSE Classroom.
What is the cost?
For each full month attended after a student is accepted into the program, a fee of $100.00 per month will be charged for instructional and material expenses.
What is expected?
Students participating in the program are expected to:
- Pass a screening interview conducted by appointment at the school.
- Register at their school of residence upon acceptance into the program by specified date.
- Have good attendance and arrive at and depart school on time.
- Be a positive behavioral role model for other students in the class.
- Participate in all class activities, including assessments (NOTE: Names will not be shared in data reports.)
- Abide by all school policies.
How do I apply?
- Should a parent not respond to reasonable efforts to schedule a screening session with the preschool teacher, the child may be removed from the applicant list.
- Should a parent cancel a mutually agreed upon time for the screening session, the child may be removed from the applicant list.
- Should a parent respond they are not interested in scheduling a screening session, proceeding through the application process or rejects an offer of a Reverse Inclusion slot in the program, the child is removed from the application list.
- Once a child is removed from the application list, the application will not be reconsidered
- Siblings of accepted Reverse Inclusion candidates are not automatically accepted into the Reverse Inclusion program.
- Special considerations are not given to any applications. All applications are treated and evaluated equally.
- Procedures are adhered to in order to ensure equitable opportunity for all preschool aged children and parents interested in this opportunity.
Department of Special Services
Albemarle County Public Schools