Early Childhood Special Education
What is Reverse Inclusion?
Reverse inclusion is the practice of placing students into an Early Childhood Special Education class on a voluntary basis so that the reverse inclusion students can be social and educational role models for the students with disabilities.
How are students selected?
- Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted.
- There is a limit of 6 applications for each site.
- Parents of students with applications will be contacted for confirmation of interest and to set up an appointment by a preschool teacher which is expected to be completed as received.
- Applications will be selected using a lottery system.
Who should apply?
- Parents of students who can provide transportation to and from school and have children who are:
- Age 3 or 4 by September 30 of the 2019-2020 school year
- Able to attend preschool for the full school week (6 hours/day Monday-Thursday and 3 hours on Friday mornings)
- Eligible Children:
- Preschool aged children who would attend Kindergarten at one of the sites noted above.
- Preschool aged children of an employee at the site of the ECSE Classroom.
What is the cost?
For each full month attended after a student is accepted into the program, a fee of $100.00 per month will be charged for instructional and material expenses.
What is expected?
Students participating in the program are expected to:
- Pass a screening interview conducted by appointment at the school.
- Register at their school of residence upon acceptance into the program by specified date.
- Have good attendance and arrive at and depart school on time.
- Be a positive behavioral role model for other students in the class.
- Participate in all class activities, including assessments (NOTE: Names will not be shared in data reports.)
- Abide by all school policies.
How do I apply?
Applications are now CLOSED. Applications will re-open in the Spring of 2020.
- Should a parent not respond to reasonable efforts to schedule a screening session with the preschool teacher, the child may be removed from the applicant list.
- Should a parent cancel a mutually agreed upon time for the screening session, the child may be removed from the applicant list.
- Should a parent respond they are not interested in scheduling a screening session, proceeding through the application process or rejects an offer of a Reverse Inclusion slot in the program, the child is removed from the application list.
- Once a child is removed from the application list, the application will not be reconsidered
- Siblings of accepted Reverse Inclusion candidates are not automatically accepted into the Reverse Inclusion program.
- Special considerations are not given to any applications. All applications are treated and evaluated equally.
- Procedures are adhered to in order to ensure equitable opportunity for all preschool aged children and parents interested in this opportunity.
Department of Special Services
Albemarle County Public Schools