2017-2018 Annual Golden Apple Awards
About the Golden Apple Awards
Richard L. Nunley, Chairman, is pleased to announce that Better Living Building Supply & Cabinetry is sponsoring the 2017-2018 Golden Apple Awards for outstanding teachers in our community's school systems. These awards are presented to faculty members from the public and private schools in Albemarle County and Charlottesville City, including CATEC. Eligible private schools are those that are members of the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS).
The Golden Apple Award is a means of selecting and honoring some of our outstanding teachers. Teachers are most important in nurturing our children's inquisitive minds and preparing them for the challenges of the future.
One winner will be selected from each school. Award recipients receive a Golden Apple, as well as gift certificates from local businesses. As a "Golden Apple" teacher, each recipient is eligible to receive a $1,000 Golden Apple Grant. Grants are awarded to eight candidates: three elementary, two middle, and two high school candidates, and one from the schools that are members of the VAIS. The grant award is used for classroom materials or to support the recipient's continued professional development. Golden Apple Award recipients will be announced in May.
Candidates are teachers at any level (pre-school through grade 12) and in any discipline. Candidates for this award have demonstrated excellence in teaching and involvement in the community outside the school. For more information, see Nomination Criteria.
Golden Apple Award recipients who received this award within the past three years are not eligible for nomination.
The nominee exhibits the following characteristics:
- Creates a love of learning in students of all abilities and backgrounds.
- Stimulates thought and provokes student dialogue.
- Challenges students to reach high standards and expectations.
- Understands the needs of students individually and collectively, and meets those needs with determination, enthusiasm and imagination.
- Involves families in the education process.
- Based on the nomination criteria, candidates may be nominated for the Golden Apple Award by colleagues, students, and/or community members. Deadline to submit a nomination: Thursday, February 1, 2018.
- Nominations must be forwarded to and signed by the school principal for advancement to the selection process (signature obtained in "Part 2" of the nomination form).
- The Selection Committee reviews the nominations and qualifies them for the selection process.
- One candidate from each school will be selected as a Golden Apple Award recipient.
- Award recipients receive a Golden Apple, as well as gift certificates from local businesses. As a "Golden Apple" teacher, each recipient is eligible to receive a $1,000 Golden Apple Grant. Grants are awarded to eight candidates: three elementary, two middle, and two high school candidates of the public schools in Albemarle County and City of Charlottesville and CATEC, and one from the schools that are members of the VAIS. The grant award can be used for classroom materials or to support the recipient's continued professional development. Golden Apple Award winners are announced in May.
Golden Apple Award recipients are invited to a reception in their honor on Wednesday, May 16, 2018, from 4 to 6 p.m. in Lane Auditorium at the County Office Building on McIntire Road. Refreshments will be served beginning at 4 p.m., and the ceremony will start promptly at 4:30. Golden Apple grant recipients will be selected and announced at the reception.
- Dr. Kevin Castner, retired Superintendent, Albemarle County Public Schools
- John Baldino, retired Director, Blue Ridge Uniserv
- Rhonda Angel, Parent Council, Albemarle County Public Schools
- Jakki Crocker, Parent Council, Charlottesville City Schools
- Bekah Saxon, Blue Ridge Uniserv
- Jamie Bourland, Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
2017 Award Winners
Click here for a list of 2017 award recipients »
Contact Caitlyn Wetzel Albemarle County Public Schools at 434-296-5820 x 13516