Tools for Novice Teachers
Professional Development Toolkit for New and Beginning Teachers (VDOE)
Knowledge of Students
- The Thoughtful Classroom - Making Students as Important as Standards
- Register for free in order to access online articles and to sign up for their free newsletter.
Knowledge of Content
- History- Government Sites for Kids
- Here you'll find links to the CIA Homepage for kids, Library of Congress, and other government sites.
- History- Library of Congress
- This site contains lesson plans and activities for using primary sources in your classroom and millions of digital items that document American history and culture.
- Collection of history resources on American Revolution, US Civil War, Child Labor in America, Ansel Adams, Dorothea Lange, World War II, Vietnam War, and US Presidents.
- History-National Archives
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA): teaching with documents lesson plans (Revolution and the New Nation, Expansion and Reform, Civil War and Reconstruction, Development of the Industrial U.S., Emergence of Modern America, The Great Depression and World War II, Postwar U.S., Contemporary United States).
- History-Virginia Center for Digital History
- Virginia Center for Digital History provides access to digital projects, many based on the history of the south and Virginia in particular.
- Find fun math sites for students, collections of lesson plans, and teacher idea exchange.
Safe, Effective Learning Environment
- Discipline by Design
- The Teacher Resources section of this site provides ideas that are simple and sound.
- Responsive Classroom
- The Responsive Classroom is an approach to elementary teaching that emphasizes social, emotional, and academic growth in a strong and safe school community. The goal is to enable optimal student learning. This site provides access to their quarterly newsletter.
- Teaching Tolerance provides educators with free educational materials that promote respect for differences and appreciation of diversity in the classroom and beyond.
- You Can Handle Them All
- A reference for handling over 117 misbehaviors at school and home
- Technology Standards for Instructional Personnel
- This ACPS Instructional Technology homepage provides links to the Va. DOE Education Technology Standards as well as to the Albemarle County TSIP Proficiency Guide.
- Virginia Division of Teacher Education & Licensure
- This Virginia Department of Education site provides information about programs and requirements for licensure. For information about recertification, click on the Virginia Licensure Renewal Manual link.