High School Summer Program
The 2020 High School Summer Program will consist of only virtual classes. There will be no onsite PE. The Virtual PE pre-testing and post-testing sessions will be held virtually.
Opening day for course registration is Monday, May 11, 2020 at 9:00 A.M.
The primary goal of the High School Summer Program is to offer Albemarle County students the chance to take or retake a course where they would like to improve their knowledge, skills, and understandings. A full listing of available courses to take or retake are listed below.
The High School Summer Program is open to rising ninth grade through twelfth grade students.
The High School Summer Program is offered in a virtual format.
IF YOUR STUDENT IS AN ATHLETE and plans to play in the NCAA please note that all virtual summer courses offered are NOT NCAA compliant. Please contact your school counselor regarding the course you selected and any school or NCAA compliance concerns.
Please visit our Question and Answer Page for more information about the High School Summer Program.
2020 HIGH SCHOOL SUMMER PROGRAM
PLEASE NOTE **Students must consult with their school counselor to discuss their future plans and the impact of summer school classes before signing up for the High School Summer Program**
Online Registration OPENS: Monday, May 11, 2020 at 9:00 A.M.. The registration link will be placed on this page beginning the first day of registration. Online registration is the only way to register for the summer classes. We will be accepting only credit card or e-check payment for courses. If you have any questions about registering, please contact the summer school registrar at the contact info on the bottom of this page.
Registration CLOSES: Initial Credit Courses June 5 at 5:00 PM Retaking Courses June 12 at 5:00 PM
All virtual courses start on June 8 and must be completed by July 24
Virtual Economics Personal Finance course: Requires administration of W!SE Financial Literacy Assessment. More information on this test will be posted soon.
Virtual PE Mandatory Pre/Post Testing Sessions- To be held virtually. Please check back for more information.
Retake Courses (offered in a virtual format only):
- English 9,10,11,12
- Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry
- World Geography, World History I, World History II, US/VA History, US/VA Government
Due to the lab requirements in Science we are unable to offer any Science courses to retake during the summer session.
Levels: Students must retake the course at the same course level or
lower than the original attempt at the course. For example, if a student
is retaking Honor's Geometry - they would retake the course at either
Honors or Advanced level.
Initial Credit Courses (offered in a virtual format only):
The following courses can be taken for initial credit:
- Health I or II -(Driver Education is available through the
ACPS Driver Education program. The combined classroom Health II w/Driver Education is only available during the school year)
- PE I or II
- Economics and Personal Finance
- English 11* or 12*
- US/VA History*
- US/VA Government
- College Algebra Trig
*Denotes available at Honor's Level
- Health or PE
- $230 per course (Health & PE together $460)
- All other initial credit courses
- Course Retake
- $230 per course
- We are accepting only credit cards and e-checks for course payment.
- Online payments will include an additional, non-refundable convenience
fee of 3.49% of the total tuition.
Refunds- All refunds will be made by
check. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing. Please note- convenience
fees are not refunded.
- Students will register using the link on this page (link to be posted). Students can take up to 1.5 credits when registering. The time it takes to complete a course can vary per individual student.
do not recommend that students who are traveling or have other time
consuming obligations take a virtual course over the summer. All Virtual
courses are available during the school year.
- Students must provide their own Internet Access and Device necessary to complete the course.
Courses do not offer face-to-face instruction and must be completed
- Two SOL testing windows will be available for three days at the end of each three week time frame.
- Final course offerings are determined by a minimum enrollment of 15 students.
is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to provide a copy of their
child's current IEP or 504 plan. It is imperative
that the current accommodations sheet for SOL testing is included. Please email plans to email@example.com.
- Albemarle County Public Schools does not provide transportation for the High School Summer Program.
Attendance: Typically, retaking a course with about a 5 hour a day
committment can be done in a 3-4 week time frame - but it's not unusual
either to use all 7 weeks. All coursework must be completed by the
final day of the Classroom Session. Rules and Regulations
- All courses must be complete by the last day of school. No refunds given after the first day of class.
- Students will be expected to display appropriate behavior. Failure to do so may result in suspension and/or removal from the summer program. Suspensions will be counted as absences.
- Students enrolled in Virtual PE that do not complete the pre-testing session will be withdrawn and refunded automatically. The pre-testing session is mandatory. Post-testing sessions are also mandatory.
- Students enrolled in Classroom PE are permitted one absence. A 2nd absence could potentially be made up if scheduled ahead of time with an instructor. A 3rd absence will result in an automatic withdrawal.
Standards of Student Conduct
The summer program will adhere to the
Albemarle County Standards of Student Conduct:
- Students involved in confrontations will be removed from the summer program and will not receive a grade, credit, or a refund.
- A student who possesses, uses, or is under the influence of a drug, narcotic, tobacco product, or alcoholic beverage will be removed from the summer program and will neither receive a grade, credit, nor a refund.
- Smoking, chewing, or any other use of any tobacco products by students shall be prohibited on all school property.
- Student’s dress may not interfere with classroom activities nor contribute to the creation of a disturbance. Shirt and shoes must be worn at all times.
- Students will not be permitted to leave the school grounds during program hours without permission.
The following grading system is used to award grades:
- A = 90-100; B = 80-89; C = 70-79; D = 60-69; F = 0-59
- Students must provide their own transportation and abide by vehicle parking rules and regulations of Albemarle County.
- Students will be expected to leave the school grounds immediately at the conclusion of the school day.
- The completed registration form gives parental permission for a student's participation in local field trips. Parents will be informed of such field trips in advance. Fees may apply.
Interested in earning credit for work-based learning (part-time jobs & internships) or service learning (volunteer projects) this summer?
Contact the Career Specialist at your school: Ms. McMahon for AHS; Ms. Massey for MoHS; or Ms. Bertrand for WAHS.
Carolyn Herget, Summer School Registrar
401 McIntire Road, 3rd Floor
Charlottesville, VA 22902