High School Summer Program
The primary goal of the High School Summer Program is to offer Albemarle County students the chance to take or retake a course where they would like to improve their knowledge, skills, and understandings. A full listing of available courses to take or retake are listed below.
The High School Summer Program is open to rising ninth grade through twelfth grade students.
The Summer Program is offered in an online format.
Students have the option to take PE online or onsite. The online option last the length of the summer program and the onsite option is condensed to three weeks.
All students, no matter the summer course, can come to our Open Lab, work with certified teachers, and have access to a laptop and an Internet connection.
IF YOUR STUDENT IS AN ATHLETE, before registering for a course please contact your guidance counselor to make sure that the course you select is NCAA compliant.
2020 HIGH SCHOOL SUMMER PROGRAM
Online Registration OPENS: Friday, May 1, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. The registration link will be placed on this page at 9:00 a.m. on May 1. Online registration is the only way to register for the summer classes. If you have any questions about registering, please contact the summer school registrar at the contact info on the bottom of this page.
Registration CLOSES: Initial Credit Courses June 5 at 5:00 PM Retaking Courses June 12 at 5:00 PM
Virtual Courses start on June 8 and must be completed by July 24
Onsite PE Location 1: June 8- June 26 8:00 AM - 1:30 PM @ WAHS
Onsite PE Location 2: July 6- July 24 8:00 AM- 1:30 PM @ AHS
The entire course must be completed at the same site. Splitting locations is not possible.
Virtual Economics Personal Finance: Requires on-site administration of W!SE Financial Literacy Assessment. This assessment can be scheduled with the instructor or walk-in during Open Lab.
June 8-June 26 & July 6-July 24 @ 8:00 AM-1:30 PM Albemarle High
School Pod (classrooms 400-409). To access the pod, turn off Hydraulic
Road into the main entrance to Albemarle High School, come down to the
front of the school, turn left at the circle and then turn right going
towards the back of the school near the basketball and tennis courts
area, drive straight back. To the left is a small parking area and to
the right of that is the pod. Please see below for more information about the Open Lab.
Virtual PE Mandatory Pre/Post Testing Sessions:
Pre-testing (MUST ATTEND ONE WITH A PARENT):
Tuesday, June 2 6:00 PM - Western Albemarle High School Gym
Thursday, June 4 6:00 PM - Albemarle High School Gym
Friday, June 5 2:00 PM- Albemarle High School Gym
Thursday, July 16 Western Albemarle High School Gym - Times TBD
Monday, July 20 Albemarle High School Gym- Times TBD
If pre or post testing dates can not be attended this summer, please consider a traditional PE course or next school year for virtual PE. These dates are mandatory and without flexibility.
Sign-up for mandatory Virtual PE pre-testing sessions is part of the online registration process. You will be notified of the mandatory Virtual PE post testing sign-ups during the third or fourth week of the virtual course.
Retake Courses Offered:
- English 9,10,11,12
- Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry
- World Geography, World History I, World History II, US/VA History, US/VA Government
Due to the lab requirements in Science we are unable to offer any Science courses to retake during the summer session.
Levels: Students must retake the course at the same course level or
lower than the original attempt at the course. For example, if a student
is retaking Honor's Geometry - they would retake the course at either
Honors or Advanced level.
Initial Credit Courses Offered:
The following courses can be taken for initial credit:
- Health I or II -(Driver Education is available through the
ACPS Driver Education program. The combined classroom Health II w/Driver Education is only available during the school year)
PE I or II
- Economics and Personal Finance
- English 11* or 12*
- US/VA History*
- US/VA Government
- College Algebra Trig
*Denotes available at Honor's Level
- Health or PE
- $230 per course (Health & PE together $460)*
- All other initial credit courses.
- Course Retake
- $230 per course*
listed above are for cash/check payments made in person or mailed in.
Online payments will include an additional, non-refundable convenience
fee of 3.49% of the total tuition.
If paying by check, please make them payable to Albemarle County Public Schools.
and check payment must be received within 5 days of registration
submission. If you register on or after June 1, payment must be made by
June 5 to become enrolled in the class. Official enrollment in a course
occurs only after payment is received.
Refunds- All refunds
(including credit card and e-check payments) will be made by
check. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing. Please note- convenience
fees are not refunded.
- Students will register using the link on this page (this link will be available on May 1, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.). Students can take up to 1.5 credits when registering. The time it takes to complete a course can vary per individual student.
do not recommend that students who are traveling or have other time
consuming obligations take a virtual course over the summer. All Virtual
courses are available during the school year.
- Students must provide their own Internet Access and Device necessary to complete the course.
Courses do not offer face-to-face instruction and must be completed
online. The only exception is the mandatory meeting times for
Virtual PE. We do offer the Open Lab for students who need assistance with their virtual course or access to a computer or internet.
- Two SOL testing windows will be available for three days at the end of each three week time frame.
- Final course offerings are determined by a minimum enrollment of 15 students.
is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to provide a copy of their
child's current IEP or 504 plan. It is imperative
that the current accommodations sheet for SOL testing is included.
Plans can be mailed to: Albemarle County Schools, ATTN: Summer School
Registrar, 401 McIntire Road, Floor, Charlottesville, VA 22902-4596 or
hand delivered to Carolyn Herget, Summer School Registrar at the
Albemarle County Office Building, 3rd Floor between the hours of 8-4:30.
- Albemarle County Public Schools does not provide transportation for the High School Summer Program.
Attendance: Though all the course
materials are online, students are welcome to attend the Open Lab as
frequently as they need while completing the course. We find that the
consistency, routine, and direct support result is the best experience
for most students and we are able to provide that environment in our
Open Lab space. Typically, retaking a course with about a 5 hour a day
committment can be done in a 3-4 week time frame - but it's not unusual
either to use all 7 weeks. All coursework must be completed by the
final day of the Classroom Session.
in the High School Summer Program are enrolled in a virtual learning
staff an Open Lab where students can work side by side with a certified
teacher on the course and receive additional support as needed. In
addition laptops and Internet access are provided at our Open Lab site.
Rules and Regulations
- All courses must be complete by the last day of school. No refunds given after the first day of class.
- Students will be expected to display appropriate behavior. Failure to do so may result in suspension and/or removal from the summer program. Suspensions will be counted as absences.
- Students enrolled in Virtual PE that do not attend the pre-testing session will be withdrawn and refunded automatically. The pre-testing session is mandatory and consideration of that date should be made prior to registering for the course. Post-testing sessions are also mandatory.
- Students enrolled in Classroom PE are permitted one absence. A 2nd absence could potentially be made up if scheduled ahead of time with an instructor. A 3rd absence will result in an automatic withdrawal.
Standards of Student Conduct
The summer program will adhere to the
Albemarle County Standards of Student Conduct:
- Students involved in confrontations will be removed from the summer program and will not receive a grade, credit, or a refund.
- A student who possesses, uses, or is under the influence of a drug, narcotic, tobacco product, or alcoholic beverage will be removed from the summer program and will neither receive a grade, credit, nor a refund.
- Smoking, chewing, or any other use of any tobacco products by students shall be prohibited on all school property.
- Student’s dress may not interfere with classroom activities nor contribute to the creation of a disturbance. Shirt and shoes must be worn at all times.
- Students will not be permitted to leave the school grounds during program hours without permission.
The following grading system is used to award grades:
- A = 90-100; B = 80-89; C = 70-79; D = 60-69; F = 0-59
- Students must provide their own transportation and abide by vehicle parking rules and regulations of Albemarle County.
- Students will be expected to leave the school grounds immediately at the conclusion of the school day.
- The completed registration form gives parental permission for a student's participation in local field trips. Parents will be informed of such field trips in advance. Fees may apply.
Interested in earning credit for completing an Internship this summer?
Contact the Career Specialist at your school: Ms. Massey for AHS; Ms. Terrell for MoHS; or Ms. Bertrand for WAHS.
Carolyn Herget, Summer School Registrar
401 McIntire Road, 3rd Floor
Charlottesville, VA 22902