Golden Apple Awards
Sponsored by Better Living Building Supply and Cabinetry
2019-2020 Nomination Form
Formulario de Nominación 2019-2020 (en español)
About the Golden Apple Awards
Richard L. Nunley, Chairman, is pleased to announce that Better Living Building Supply and Cabinetry is again sponsoring the Golden Apple Awards for outstanding teachers in our community's school systems. These awards are presented to faculty members from the public and private schools in Albemarle County and Charlottesville City, including the Charlottesville Albemarle Technical Education Center (CATEC). Eligible private schools are those that are members of the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS).
The Golden Apple Award is a means of selecting and honoring some of our outstanding teachers. Teachers are most important in nurturing our children's inquisitive minds and preparing them for the challenges of the future.
One winner will be selected from each school. In addition to receiving a Golden Apple, and for the first time in the program’s history, every Golden Apple recipient also will earn a grant of $500, which can be used for classroom materials or to support the teacher’s professional development. Golden Apple Award recipients will be announced in May.
Candidates for this award are teachers at any level (preschool through grade 12) and in any discipline who have demonstrated excellence in teaching and involvement in the community outside the school.
Golden Apple Award recipients who received this award within the past three years are not eligible for nomination.
The nominee exhibits the following characteristics:
- Creates a love of learning in students of all abilities and backgrounds.
- Stimulates thought and provokes student dialogue.
- Challenges students to reach high standards and expectations.
- Understands the needs of students individually and collectively, and meets those needs with determination, enthusiasm and imagination.
- Involves families in the education process.
2019-2020 Nomination Deadline: Monday, January 27, 2020
- Based on the nomination criteria, candidates may be nominated for the Golden Apple Award by colleagues, students, and/or community members.
- The nomination form consists of two parts:
Part One should be completed by the person nominating a teacher for the award and submitted to the teacher's principal by the nomination deadline.
Part Two should be signed by the school principal or head master and submitted to the Albemarle County Public Schools Central Office (Attn: Sissy Leatherwood).
- The Selection Committee reviews the nominations and qualifies them for the selection process.
- One candidate from each school will be selected as a Golden Apple Award recipient.
- In addition to receiving a Golden Apple keepsake and gift certificates from local businesses, every Golden Apple recipient also will earn a grant of $500, which can be used for classroom materials or to support the teacher’s professional development.
Golden Apple Award recipients are invited to a reception in their honor on
Thursday, May 21, 2020, from
4 to 6 p.m. in Lane Auditorium at the County Office Building located at 401 McIntire Road in Charlottesville. Refreshments will be served beginning at 4 p.m., and the ceremony will start promptly at 4:30.
Chair: Dr. Kevin Castner, retired Superintendent, Albemarle County Public Schools
Chair appointed by Better Living Building Supply & Cabinetry.
- Rhonda Angel, Parent Council Representative, Albemarle County Public Schools
- Jakki Crocker, Parent Council Representative, Charlottesville City Schools
- Veronica Jones, Representative, Retired Charlottesville Faculty
- Karen Marcus, Retired Principal, Albemarle County Public Schools
- Bekah Saxon, Representative, Blue Ridge Uniserv
- Jo Vining, Retired Principal, Albemarle County Public Schools
- Dave Welty, VAIS Representative, Assistant Dean of Faculty, Blue Ridge School
Contact Albemarle County Public Schools at
434-296-5820 ext. 13537