2020-21 Calendar Development
Each year, the Joint Albemarle County/Charlottesville City Schools Calendar Committee works to produce a school calendar that supports our goals to engage students, improve opportunities and achievement, and get the most productivity out of our resources.
Draft 2 - prepared Dec. 20, 2019
Based on feedback from our calendar survey, we made the following changes to the initial draft of the 2020-21 school year calendar:
- We moved the school-based PD day from Monday, March 1, to Monday, February 15, in observance of George Washington’s birthday (a Virginia state holiday; also known as Presidents' Day); and
- We moved the teacher workday from Tuesday, March 2, to Monday, March 1.
The second draft of the calendar was presented to the School Board on Thursday, January 9, 2020, for review. The calendar will go back before the Board for approval on Thursday, January 23, 2020.
View Draft 2 »
Draft 1 - prepared Oct. 29, 2019
Community feedback is an essential part of the calendar development process. The Calendar Committee launched a public survey to gather feedback on its initial draft of the 2020-21 School Year Calendar from November 13-26, 2019.
View Draft 1 »
Calendar Survey: Thank You for Your Feedback
The purpose of the calendar survey was to collect input on the Calendar Committee's initial draft of the 2020-21 School Year Calendar. A total of 1,200 students, parents, employees, and community members reviewed Draft 1 and provided feedback over a two-week period, from November 13-26. Thank you to everyone who participated for engaging in the calendar development process.
Overall, nearly 75% of survey respondents indicated that they are satisfied or very satisfied with Draft 1 of the 2020-21 calendar, with fewer than 8% indicating dissatisfaction.
View survey results »
Calendar Development Timeline
The following dates are subject to change.
November 4 | 1st Calendar Committee Meeting
November 13 | Post draft calendar and open community survey
November 19 | 2nd Calendar Committee Meeting
- Receive calendar feedback from Strategic Cabinet and Planning Cabinet
- 3rd Calendar Commitee Meeting
- January 9 | Present draft calendar to School Board as Information Item (for review); Receive public comment
- January 23 | Present draft calendar to School Board as Action Item (for approval)
2020-21 Calendar - Draft 2
2020-21 Calendar - Draft 1
2019-20 Calendar (approved December 13, 2018)
2019-20 Calendario (en español) (aprobado el 13 de diciembre de 2018)